Windows 8 includes a Games app, where you can see your Xbox Live activity, customise your avatar and so on, as well as Xbox Live enabled games, dubbed Xbox Live on Windows, where you can earn achievements. Xbox Live on Windows games can have up to 400 gamer points, but the most so far is 200.
However, the offline experience with Xbox Live for Windows games seems to be very inconsistent. So far my testing has shown:
– Minesweeper does not support offline achievements at all, but it doesn’t tell you that this is the case.
– Solitaire supports offline achievements – they pop up when you are offline, and then sync when you connect later.
– Adera shows no pop up, but it does actually give you the achievements, and they will pop up once you sign in later. I earned several offline and they all popped later.
– Rocket Riot doesn’t support offline achievements, and tells you as much when you start the game – it says that you cannot earn any achievements.
– Hydro Thunder Hurricane supports offline achievements – they pop up when you are offline, and then sync when you connect later.
I can only conclude the offline support is down to the developer of the game, but it is off that Solitaire and Minesweeper, but by Microsoft Studios, aren’t even consistent.
So some Xbox Live for Windows games do support offline access and earning achievements whilst offline, but it isn’t always obvious that this is the case. This is confusing and a step backwards from both Games for Windows Live (GFWL) as well as Windows Phone, both of which support offline achievements perfectly well.
Here is Solitaire unlocking one when offline:
Here is Adera showing a warning, even though you can actually earn achievements:
Finishing Minesweeper but no achievement!
But at least rocket riot has the decency to tell you:
Update: Some games also sync via the cloud. HydroThunder does this nicely, if you sign in on another PC it will have all your progress so far, excellent!