I have used a Surface 2 daily for almost a year now. I bought one as I wanted a Windows machine that was very portable, had Office, touch, was not vulnerable to viruses and spyware, and would just work. Unfortunately it failed dismally on the last requirement. I am not sure if mine is just faulty, but these are all the issues that I have with it:
- The nVidia display driver crashes, regularly. Often when this happens, there is a popup on the desktop saying that the driver has crashed, and then the entire operating system becomes a slideshow, and is completely unusable. You can’t even restart it, it requires a hard power off by holding the power button in. This has never been addressed by Microsoft.
- Sometimes the device will not wake up, the lights on the keyboard come on, but the screen remains black. Has to be powered off.
- Sometimes the keyboard stops working, and either requires reattaching, or rebooting the device.
- Sometimes no modern apps will open, requiring a reboot.
- It frequently stops detecting the micro SD card, and the card has to be reseated.
What worries me, is that if Microsoft can’t even get this working reliably with their own OS and their own hardware, with no third party applications installed, what is this a lost cause? My Surface 2 is far less reliable than my other Windows tablets and PCs, e.g. Lenovo laptops, home built PC, etc.
Regardless of the fact that the Surface 2 is now an orphaned device due to the demise of Windows RT, it is very disappointing that Microsoft never resolved these issues when they control the end to end experience, and I am worried about getting another Surface device for these reasons.